Thursday 24 January 2013

Dreaded marketing, ICT and social media

Google page? Google community, circles, hangouts...all new to me and as incomprehensible as Stephen Hawking's theory of everything!However you can't say I don't try...despite my age and lack of skill in these matters. I pride my self in being an erudite facebooker and tweeter and I am even Linkedin...but I must say Google+ is a mystery! I can't seem to see who is on there or how one extends the reach... but I do feel I should have a go! I have therefore set up a page Out of Time;Gill Jepson...so do please visit it!

As I have often said before I hate marketing and constantly put off that which must be done in the name of self promotion-after all if I don't do it who will? It takes me away from writing...the real writing...not blogging etc and I am never clear how much difference it actually makes. I am still waiting for something to g viral and I am in awe of the authors who cleverly have a full catalogue of bookings, constant and massive sales and mentions in despatches in significant publications! I am doing quite nicely thank you, but I feel I'm not reaching the parts other authors seem to reach. Or are they just even better at presenting a positive image than I am?

I have a great following of kids and adults alike who wait for the next book and stay connected, I can find myself on google for at least 26 pages, I have had no negative reviews, I go into schools regularly so I guess it must be ok. However, I am an impatient soul and would like to take things to the next level...viral at least! I am not sure what more to do... whether it is because I am placed in the northwest and am therefore isolated geographically and certainly disposable income here is not what it is down south! I have mused over this issue for a while but I am still unsure how effective social networking actually is... did Beatrix Potter have the same self doubt I wonder?  And she wasn't even on Facebook! 

On the positive side..I actually finished another chapter of The Cistercian Conspiracy last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment